Due to the Corona-virus Pandemic, all of us are quarantined in our homes. And some of us have work from home, while some don’t. Even though you are working from home, the amount of time and energy that was invested in traveling to and from work is now in your hands and I hope you make the best of it.
How often in our daily lives do we get an opportunity like this? This is the time to do all the things that we only hoped to do the day we get time.
Here are a few things that you can do as architects or architecture students in your Quaran-TIME.
- Learn an online course: Many universities provide online courses in the field of architecture, art, and design. Websites like edx.org, www.coursera.com, etc have online self-paced lectures.
- Enhance your software skills: In case you struggle with your technological skills, this is your time to build them up. As we all know that software plays a vital role in our understanding and explaining design. With the help of YouTube or online sources, you can learn any software from scratch.
- Spend time with yourself: In our busy lives as architects and architectural students, we somehow forget to spend time with ourselves. We keep juggling between work and sleep. This is the time to read the book you always wanted to read, watch movies, work on your hobbies.
- Sketching: As architects, sketching is vital for our thought process but due to our busy schedules we somehow leave this skill behind. But now is the time to brush up your sketching skills.
- Spend time with your family: most of us hear our family members complaining about how we don’t have time for them. This is the time to make up for all the events, birthdays and movie/game nights you’ve missed with them. Play some board games, cook with them or watch movies.
- Organize your rooms: As architecture students, your room is always a mess. With stationery lying all around; sheets, cutters, pencils, and etc. Organizing your rooms would be a good investment of your time. Reusing boxes as pen stands or tool kits.
- Watch TED Talks: TED posts talks online for free distribution under the slogan “ideas worth spreading”.TED speakers know how to construct an engaging argument within a relatively short amount of time, making them both entertaining and educational to watch.
- Cook: Cooking is a therapy for most people. It’s one of the things we don’t get enough time to do wholeheartedly. Try new dishes, and cuisines and give yourself a treat.
- Reusing paper: Most of the sheets being printed in offices or colleges are one side used A1 sheets.
- Doodle pad: cut the paper into smaller sizes like A5, A4 or A3 and spiral them together to make a doodle pad.
- Origami: Colored sheets or painted sheets can be used to make cute origami decorations for your room.
- Wall hangings: Use the internet to find various DIY wall hangings.
- Paper bag: Create paper bags with these simple steps and use old jute strings for the support or handle.
There are a lot of ways that you can use paper, utilize this time to enhance your creative skills and learn some new DIY skills and recycle paper. As nature is healing itself while we sit at home, why not make a small contribution yourself by reusing paper.