RANSOMWARE attack hits Equinix companies internal system. Before going forward we will first see,
What is Equinix?
Equinix is a leading global interconnection platform, it is the world’s largest data centre provider, Which provides data over the world to many companies and for other purposes.
On 9th September 2020, Equinix company had a Ransomware attack, Which led to collocation and affected the company’s giant internal system. In the attack, The company’s data was breached and all the information was taken out through this virus. The Virus also affected some data centres which lead to Buffering of signals and Beeping of computers. All the company’s data was transferred to attackers and the attackers demanded the company for 4.5 million ransoms to prevent the release of data. The company’s stock has come down by 8.31 million (1.11 per cent) to 745.11 per share which has laid the company to lose after the Ransomware attack was disclosed. This was a big disaster for the company.
By reading till now, You all might be thinking, What is Ransomware?, How it works? How to prevent Ransomware ?, How to remove it after getting hit?
1) What is Ransomware?
Ransomware is a form of malware that encrypts a victim’s files. The attacker then demands a ransom from the victim to restore access to the data upon payment. Users are shown instructions for how to pay a fee to get the decryption key. The costs can range from a few hundred dollars to thousands, payable to cybercriminals in Bitcoin.
2) How Ransomware works?
There are various types in Ransomware, Which can directly take part in your computer. But one of the most dangerous and common is Phishing Spam. This Virus comes to the victim in a form of email, Masquerading as a file they should trust on. Once the file is downloaded and opened, The virus enters the victim’s computers and transfers all the personal data to the attacker.
There are also some other, more aggressive forms of Ransomware, and one of them is NOT PETYA. This virus exploits security holes to infect computers without using any kind of trick.
3) How to Prevent Ransomware?
- There are various different Defensive steps you can use to prevent Ransomware infection, Some of them are,
- Keep your operating system patched and up-to-date to ensure you have fewer vulnerabilities to exploit.
- Don’t install software or give it administrative privileges unless you know exactly what it is and what it does.
- Install antivirus software, which detects malicious programs like ransomware as they arrive, and Whitelisting software, which prevents unauthorized applications from executing in the first place.
- And, of course, back up your files, frequently and automatically. That won’t stop a malware attack, but it can make the damage caused by one much less significant.
4) How to remove Ransomware after getting hit?
If your computer has been infected with Ransomware, You’ll need to regain control of your computer system. To do so, follow the given steps.
- Reboot Windows 10 to safe mode.
- Install antimalware software.
- Scan the system to find the Ransomware program.
- Restore the computer to a previous state.
But here’s the important thing to keep in mind, While removal of the Malware from your system and restore it to your control, Will does not Decrypt your files. The files are already transferred to the attacker when it enters your computer. It will be mathematically impossible for anyone to decrypt them without access to that key that attacker holds. You will need to pay the attacker the ransom he wants to restore your data.
- So to not get hit by the Ransomware, Follow the precautions given above, Which lessen the damage by Ransomware attack.